Monday 13 October 2008

Who am I?

Assalaamu Alaykum,

to the non-Muslims, peace be upon those who follow righteous guidance,

No this post isn't one of those fancy philosophical questions... 'WHO AM I?' No, this is just a straight forward explanation about who am I, i.e the person writing this blog.

Well I am a youngish, English revert to Islam, married with kids, trying his best to please his lord.

(we use the term revert not convert, because as Muslims we believe everyone is born in a natural sinless state of submission to the creator, that by becomming Muslims later in life we only return to that state)

I am not some sort of scholar or even a student of knowledge, though I do have a tendency to read a lot so have a bit more knowledge than the average Muslim and I respect those Ulema (pl. of Alim) who are truthful and pass on the message of Islam, undiluted to the people.

But I have unfortunately come across too-many of the other sort of Ulema, the yes men to the Masjid Committees, to the Governments of the west and the Muslim lands, to the people they are supposed to guide, when an Alim isn't supposed to suck up to any man, but to speak the truth and clarify the rulings of Allah to the people and rulers alike without fearing any worldly authority or seeking any favour.

any Alim who twisted the word of Allah to please anyone other than Allah is like a Rabbi or Priest, he is hiding a portion of the book and showing another in order to gain something and Allah will hold him to account on the day of judgement.

One day Inshallah I hope to study a little more in depth with some of the good genuine scholars, but right now my main priority in life is getting out of the UK as Hijrah has become a Fard Aiyn obligation at this time (see last post on this blog).

For those Muslims seeking to put me in some sort of 'pigeon hole' and attach a label, I tend to be difficult, some people consider me a sufi as I tend to talk about Zuhd a lot, others consider me a salafi as I also talk about sticking with the Ulema who cling to the methodology of the Salaf, others consider me Hanafi, though many hanafis don't as I don't believe in blind Taqleed.

In beliefs I follow the athari aqeedah, as what was good enough for the Sahabah and other Salaf was good enough for me, and consider myself part of the main jammat of Islam, the ones on the path of Rasoolullah (saws) and his companions, not those like the Khawarij and Shi'a who split away from this main group - Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jammat.

So I don't tend to have labels so easily attached to me, and prefer the label given to us by Allah in the Quran, that of Muslim. if you push me I will say, Yes I am Sunni, my aqeedah being Athari, my manhaj being Salafi, my path being one of Zuhd, my fiqh being Hanafi. make of all that what you will.

Like most reverts, I tend to have some stubborn tendencies... very few people come into the fold of Islam without being strong enough willed to reject their upbringing and the culture around them to follow the path of Allah. That stubbornness can get us into trouble occassionally...

My interests other than Hijrah, are writing, reading (lots and lots) giving Dawah (also a Fard Aiyn), spending time with family - both Muslim and non-Muslim and being the best believer I can be.

If anyone would like any further info they best ask me as I think that is enough to get to know a little about the person writing this blog. Umar ibn al-Khattab (ra) said you can never know a man unless you live with him or travel with him, but please feel free to ask me questions if you wish.

Assalaamu Alaykum,

to the non-Muslims, peace be upon those who follow righteous guidance,

Abu Abdillah

No comments: